Depending on the number of people living in your home and your household income, a Property Tax Exemption (PTE) can either cut your current year’s taxes owed in half, or wipe them out completely.
If you think you are eligible: Attend one of the workshops listed on the back of this flyer. Filling out a PTE can be complicated, and it’s best to have help.
Am I eligible for a property tax exemption?
People in Household
Income Limit Full exemption
Income Limit partial exemption
*If you are a Veteran, or the un-remarried spouse of a deceased veteran, there are unique qualifications for you to receive a PTE. Contact the Board of Review at (313) 628-0723 or attend a workshop on the other side of this flyer.
What DO I need to apply for an exemption
- Deed for the home in your name
- Current ID for all adults over 18 years
- Proof of income for everyone over 18 years (Ex: W2’s, paystubs, SSI/SSD, food stamps)
- Proof of expenses (Ex: current utility bills, tax payment plan, medical bills, credit card, etc)
- Bank statement, 401k, insurance settlement, etc.
- Report cards for school age children
- Notarized letter of help from anyone who is helping you financially
- Copy of Federal and State 2016 tax return for all adults who live in the home